Welcome, PM&R Trainee!
We're thrilled that you are interested in serving alongside your peers in the AAP. The Resident/ Fellow Council (RFC) is seeking motivated in-training physiatrists to join our leadership team. Participating in the RFC will allow you to develop your network and career by representing your peers on a national level, serving on committees alongside leaders in the specialty, and advocating and developing resources for PM&R trainees.
Members of the RFC serve on various national AAP committees, plan educational and networking sessions for the AAP's Annual Meeting, create year-round connection and resources, and much more. Start your path to a career in leadership with the RFC!
Applications for 2020-2021 leadership positions will open in Fall 2019. Elections will take place at the AAP's 2020 Annual Meeting, ISPRM 2020. You must be present to run for a position. The Vice Chair position is only open to PGY-2 residents and requires a letter of recommendation from your Residency Program Director.
We're asking all applicants to submit a 2-minute (maximum) video introducing yourself and your interest in the RFC. Here are more details:
- The video may be recorded using any video device (i.e. laptop camera, cell phone, etc.)
- The video should be recorded in a single recording in front of a fixed camera with your face visible. Do not include any extra visuals or props (i.e. filters, video post-processing, text outside of closed captioning, animations)
- Please start the recording by stating your name, your PGY level, your institution and the position you are running for. We plan to highlight these brief (<15 second) intros on social media with links to your full video on the AAP website for people to view prior to the election.
- Let us know if you are unable to record a video for any reason so we may provide assistance or alternative accommodations.
We hope to welcome you as an active member of our leadership team!
Neal Rakesh, MD - Chair
Tiffany Lau, MD - Vice Chair
Resident/ Fellow Council Leadership Positions
- Presides at all council meetings and annual elections
- Organizes RFC annual action plan and actively pursues set goals
- Serves as liaison to the AAP Office
- Recommends resident representatives to AAP Committees and Task Forces
- Ex-officio member of the AAP Board of Trustees
- Member of the AAP's Governance Committee
- Only PGY-2 residents are eligible
- Serves as RFC Chair the following year
- Assists Chair with organizing RFC annual action plan
- Ex-officio non-voting member of the AAP Board of Trustees
- Member of the AAP's Public Policy Committee
- Schedules RFC meetings and takes minutes
- Leads planning of RFC program for the AAP's Annual Meeting
- Member of the AAP’s Program Committee
- Promotes and coordinates research opportunities for residents and fellows
- Organizes resources and educational toolkits for grant and scientific writing
- Participates in abstract and paper review for the AAP Annual Meeting
- Member of the AAP's Research Committee
Medical Student Affairs Representative
- Supervises the AAP's Medical Student Council
- Leads planning of the Medical Student Workshop at the AAP Annual Meeting
- Assists with promotion of PM&R to and the creation of student groups
- Member of the AAP's Medical Student Educators Council
- Works to increase resident/fellow membership and retention
- Assists with AAP fundraising and publicity efforts
- Promotes AAP awards and programs for the development of young physiatrists
- Member of the AAP’s Membership Committee
- Liaison to AAP Office for website recommendations
- Responsible for soliciting, collecting and publishing articles for Physiatry in Motion, the RFC's quarterly publication
- Assists with disseminating emerging uses of new technology in health care
- Only PGY-4 residents entering a fellowship program the following academic year are eligible
- Leads RFC projects focused on improving fellowship education and research
- Responsible for planning fellowship sessions at the AAP Annual Meeting
- Member of the AAP's Leadership Development & Recognition Committee
Social Media Ambassador
- Manages the RFC social media platforms (Facebook and Twitter) and gives a resident voice to the AAP's Instagram account
- Promotes RFC and AAP in-training member activities
- Develops strategies to expand RFC social media presence and engagement with in-training physiatrists
Education/ Well-Being Representative
- Assists with development of educational projects and resources for residents and fellows
- Works to create and promote well-being initiatives for residents and fellows
- Member of the AAP's Education Committee