BE A LEADER ON THE MEDICAL STUDENT Council
The AAP's Medical Student Council is seeking medical students with a strong interest in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation to join its leadership team! Participating in the Council will allow you to develop your leadership skills by representing your peers on a national level and increase the awareness of PM&R among medical students.
The Council works closely with the AAP's Resident/Fellow Council (RFC), plans educational and networking sessions for the AAP's Annual Meeting, develops medical student networks via student interest groups, and much more!
The deadline to apply for the 2019-2020 leadership team is November 1, 2018. A description of positions and requirements can be found below. Council leaders begin their one-year terms at the AAP's Annual Meeting. Those selected to serve on the Council will be notified in time to plan to attend the AAP's Annual Meeting.
We hope to welcome you as an active member of our leadership team!
Bryan Le - Chair
Justin Schappell - Vice Chair
- Must be an MS1-MS3 in an LCME, COCA, or NCFMEA accredited medical school
- Must be an active member of the AAP at the time of application
- Strongly encourage attendance at the AAP Annual Meeting
Application Materials Required:
- Personal Statement
- Resume/ CV
- Letter of Support - If you are applying for the Chair position, a letter of support from a medical school faculty member is required. It is also recommended that applicants for other positions submit a letter of support.
- Only current MS-3s are eligible
- Organizes Medical Student Council annual action plan and pursues set goals
- Presides over all student council meetings and annual elections
- Serves as a liaison to the AAP's Resident/Fellow Council
- Recommends student representatives to serve on AAP committees and task forces
- Member of Medical Student Educators Council
- Assists Chair with organizing the annual action plan
- Oversees medical student submissions to Physiatry in Motion, the RFC's quarterly newsletter
- Works with resident editors of AJPM&R's new Resident-Fellow Corner to create content relevant to medical students
- Works with RFC Secretary to plan RFC/medical student program at annual AAP meeting
- Organizes Medical Student Council meetings and conference calls
- Takes roll call and records meeting minutes
Education/ Mentorship Representative
- Works with the RFC Medical Student Affairs Representative and AAP Medical Student Educators Council on Faculty and Resident Mentorship Programs for medical students
- Works with the RFC Medical Student Affairs Representative to create mentorship videos
Membership/ Recruitment Representative
- Provides information and support to new and current Student Interest Groups throughout the country
- Assists AAP staff with fundraising and publicity efforts focused on recruiting medical students to join AAP and attend the AAP Annual Meeting
- Assists with recruitment of medical student submissions to Physiatry in Motion newsletter
Social Media/ Technology Representative
- Works with RFC Social Media Ambassador to promote online engagement focusing on medical student interests
- Works with AAP staff to maintain medical student section of the AAP website
- Manages the Medical Student Council Facebook and Twitter accounts, and provides a student voice on the AAP's Instagram account
- Works with RFC Research Representative on research-focused initiatives
- Works with Membership/Recruitment Representative to promote and recruit for the Rehabilitation Research Experience for Medical Students (RREMS) and the Medical Student Summer Clinical Externship (MSSCE)