Overview & Structure
MSSCE students spend eight weeks immersed in didactics, outpatient and inpatient clinical experiences (roughly 50% each), simulation exercises and mentorship with a clinician-educator at the sponsor site. Participants are given a $4,000 stipend, and the sponsor site also covers registration and travel to the AAP's Annual Meeting, where students will present a case report and build their network.
Our Site Sponsors
The following institutions are committed to advancing the specialty by hosting students for the Medical Student Summer Clinical Externship (MSSCE). Students select their top three site sponsors when applying, and are matched with a strong consideration to preference. If selected, the student then spends eight weeks working with their clinician-educator at the site sponsor to develop their case study.
- Site Director: Anne Felicia Ambrose, MD, MS
- Contact: 914-597-2322 or Email
- Location: 785 Mamaroneck Avenue, White Plains, NY 10605
- MSSCE Mentors: Anne Felicia Ambrose, MD; Bitu Kurivilla, MD
- Site Director: Veronica Davydov
- Contact: 516-321-6408 or Email
- Location: 1554 Northern Blvd., 4th Floor, Manhasset, NY 11030
- MSSCE Mentors: Adam Stein, MD; Matthew Shatzer, DO
- Site Director: Miguel Escalon, MD, MPH
- Contact: 212-241-6322 or Email
- Location: 17 East 101st Street, New York, NY 10029
- MSSCE Mentors: Miguel Escalon, MD; Vincent Huang, MD; Kirk Lercher, MD; several other faculty available
- Site Director: R. Samuel Mayer, MD, MEHP
- Contact: 410-502-2337 or Email
- Location: 600 N. Wolfe Street/ Phipps 198, Baltimore, MD 21287
- MSSCE Mentor: R. Samuel Mayer, MD, MEHP
- Site Director: Mahmood Gharib, MD
- Contact: 734-232-0912 or Email
- Location: 325 E. Eisenhower Parkway, Ann Arbor, MI 48108
- MSSCE Mentor: Sandra Hearn, MD
- Site Director: Matthew Bartels, MD, MPH
- Contact: 718-920-2751 or Email
- Location: 111 East 210th Street, Bronx, NY 10467
- MSSCE Mentors: Sewon Lee, MD; Matthew Bartels, MD, MPH
- Site Director: John Whyte, MD, PhD
- Contact: 215-663-6872 or Email
- Location: 50 Township Line Road, Elkins Park, PA 19027
- MSSCE Mentors: John Whyte, MD, PhD; Thomas Watanabe, MD
- More Information: Students will spend time with board certified physiatrists caring for patients with stroke, TBI, and spinal cord injury
- Site Director: Natasha Romanoski, DO
- Contact: 717-531-7010 or Email
- Location: 500 University Drive, PO Box 850, Hershey, PA 17033
- MSSCE Mentor: Natasha Romanoski, DO
- Site Director: Zena Moore
- Contact: 212-263-8022 or Email
- Location: 240 E 38th Street, 17th Floor, New York, NY 10016
- MSSCE Mentors: John Ross Rizzo, MD, MSCI; Alex Morox, MD, MHPE
- Site Director: Leslie Rydberg, MD
- Contact: 312-238-2907 or Email
- Location: 355 E. Erie, Chicago, IL 60611
- MSSCE Mentors: Leslie Rydberg, MD; additional mentors available based on student’s area of interest
- Site Director: Mary Baker
- Contact: 315-464-8672 or Email
- Location: 750 E. Adams Street, Jacobsen Hall, 3rd Floor, Syracuse, NY 13210
- MSSCE Mentor: Margaret Turk, MD
- Site Director: Danielle Powell, MD, MSPH
- Contact: 205-934-5674 or Email
- Location: 1717 6th Avenue, South SRC 144, Birmingham, AL 35249
- MSSCE Mentor: Danielle Powell, MD, MSPH
- Site Director: Rani Haley Lindberg, MD
- Contact: 501-221-1311 or Email
- Location: 4301 West Markham, #602, Little Rock, AR 72211
- MSSCE Mentors: Rani Haley Lindberg, MD; Antonio Howard, MD
- Site Director: Brionn Tonkin, MD
- Contact: 612-626-4913 or Email
- Location: 420 Delaware Street SE, MMC 297, Minneapolis, MN 55455
- MSSCE Mentors: Brionn Tonkin, MD; Diane Mortimer, MD; Dennis Dykstra, MD, PhD
- Site Director: Brad Dicianno, MD
- Contact: 412-822-3691 or Email
- Location: 3471 5th Avenue, Suite 201, Pittsburgh, PA 15213
- MSSCE Mentors: Several mentors available (please see website)
- Site Director: Anna Tingey
- Contact: 801-587-0232 or Email
- Location: 30 N 1900 E 1C299, Salt Lake City, UT 84132
- MSSCE Mentor: Susan Garstang, MD
- Site Director: Amber Jorgenson
- Contact: 608-263-8639 or Email
- Location: 1685 Highland Avenue, Centennial Building 6th Floor, Madison, WI 53705
- MSSCE Mentors: Kimberly Arndt, MD; James Leonard, DO; Walton Schalick, III, MD; other faculty available based on clinical interests of student
- Site Director: William McKinley, MD
- Contact: 804-828-4233 or Email
- Location: 1223 E. Marshall Street, PO Box 980677, Richmond, VA 23298
- MSSCE Mentor: William McKinley, MD
What to Know Before You Apply
MSSCE is offered to all medical students, but may be most applicable for first year students. If you are interested in a research-based experience, consider applying for the AAP's Rehabilitation Research Experience for Medical Students (RREMS). Please read through the following requirements carefully:
- Students must identify choices from our list of approved sponsor sites. Applications will not be accepted unless the sponsor site has been approved prior to the student’s application. Students must choose three sponsor sites and list them on their MSSCE application in order of preference. Students selected for the program will be matched with institutions with strong consideration given to preference. Sponsor sites will continue to be added through December 2018.
- We encourage applications from students wishing to work with mentors outside of their own institutions.
- The student must be enrolled in an accredited allopathic or osteopathic medical school in the United States.
- Each student will receive a $4,000 stipend for their summer externship at an approved sponsor site. This stipend will be released in installments, and students will receive the full amount only after successful submission of an abstract for the AAP's Annual Meeting. Additional travel and registration expenses will be covered by the sponsor site for the AAP's Annual Meeting.
- Students are responsible for making their own housing arrangements and travel to/from their summer research institution.
- Each student must complete the full eight weeks of the program over the summer and agree to present a case report at the AAP's subsequent Annual Meeting.
Include the following documents in the the application package in the below order. Scan or combine all materials into a single PDF file. Name the file in the following format: SmithM_2019. Use our recommendations to create a strong application. Application materials include:
Personal Statement: Students must submit a 1-2 page personal statement explaining their interest in clinical exposure to PM&R.
Student's Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume: The CV should include prior degrees and institutions attended, undergraduate grade point average and MCAT scores.
Letter of Recommendation: Please submit one letter of recommendation with your application.