Overview & Structure
MSSCE students spend eight weeks immersed in didactics, outpatient and inpatient clinical experiences (roughly 50% each), simulation exercises and mentorship with a clinician-educator at the sponsor site. Participants are given a $4,000 stipend, and the sponsor site also covers registration and travel to the AAP's Annual Meeting, where students will present a case report and build their network.
Our 2020 Site Sponsors
The following institutions are committed to advancing the specialty by hosting students for the Medical Student Summer Clinical Externship (MSSCE). Students select their top three site sponsors when applying, and are matched with a strong consideration to preference. If selected, the student then spends eight weeks working with their clinician-educator at the site sponsor to develop their case study.
- Site Director: Johnathan Ho, MD
- Contact: 313-375-7226 or Email
- Location: 10000 Telegraph Road, Taylor, MI 48180
- MSSCE Mentor: Johnathan Ho, MD
- Site Director: Veronica Davydov, C-TAGME
- Contact: 516-321-6408 or Email
- Location: 1554 Northern Blvd., 4th Floor, Manhasset, NY 11030
- MSSCE Mentors: Adam Stein, MD; Matthew Shatzer, DO
- Site Director: R. Samuel Mayer, MD, MEHP
- Contact: 410-502-2447 or Email
- Location: 600 N. Wolfe Street/ Phipps 198, Baltimore, MD 21287
- MSSCE Mentors: R. Samuel Mayer, MD; Tracy Friedlander, MD; Dorianne Feldman, MD, MS; April Pruski, MD; Mary Keszler, MD; Melissa Trovato, MD; Philippines Cabahug, MD; Albert Recio, MD; Marlis Gonzalez-Fernandez, MD, PhD; Mark Ellen, MD; Andrew Nava, MD
- Site Director: Mahmood Gharib, MD
- Contact: 734-936-7175 or Email
- Location: 325 E Eisenhower Pkwy., Ann Arbor, MI 48108
- MSSCE Mentor: Mahmood Gharib, MD
- Site Director: Matthew Bartels, MD, MPH
- Contact: 718-920-2751 or Email
- Location: 111 East 210th Street, Bronx, NY 10467
- MSSCE Mentor: Stephanie Rand, MD
- Site Director: Miguel Escalon, MD
- Contact: 212-824-8361 or Email
- Location: 3 East 101st Street, 1st Floor, New York, NY 10029
- MSSCE Mentor: Miguel Escalon, MD
- Site Director: Natasha Romanoski, DO
- Contact: 717-531-7010 or Email
- Location: 500 University Drive, Mail Code HP 28, Hershey, PA 17033
- MSSCE Mentor: Natasha Romanoski, DO
- Site Director: Leslie Rydberg, MD
- Contact: 312-238-2907 or Email
- Location: 355 E. Erie, Chicago, IL 60611
- MSSCE Mentors: Leslie Rydberg, MD
- Site Director: Mary Baker
- Contact: 315-464-8672 or Email
- Location: 750 E. Adams Street, Jacobsen Hall, 3rd Floor, Syracuse, NY 13210
- MSSCE Mentor: Margaret Turk, MD
- Site Director: Danielle Powell, MD
- Contact: 205-934-5674 or Email
- Location: 1717 6th Ave S, Birmingham, AL 35233
- MSSCE Mentor: Danielle Powell, MD
- Site Director: Rani Lindberg, MD
- Contact: 501-944-8475 or Email
- Location: 4301 West Markham, #602, Little Rock, AR 72205
- MSSCE Mentor: Rani Lindberg, MD
- Site Director: Brionn Tonkin, MD
- Contact: 612-626-4913 or Email
- Location: 420 Delaware Street SE, MMC 297, Minneapolis, MN 55455
- MSSCE Mentors: Brionn Tonkin, MD; Benjamin Grover-Manthey, MD; Alex Senk, MD
- Site Director: Rez Farid, MD
- Contact: 573-884-0033 or Email
- Location: 1 Hospital Drive DCO 46.00, Columbia, MO 65212
- MSSCE Mentors: Rez Farid, MD; Greg Worsowicz, MD
- Site Director: Brad Dicianno, MD
- Contact: 412-822-3691 or Email
- Location: 3471 5th Avenue, Suite 910, Pittsburgh, PA 15213
- MSSCE Mentors: Several mentors available (please see website)
- Site Director: Anna Tingey
- Contact: 801-587-0232 or Email
- Location: 30 North 1900 East, Salt Lake City, UT 84132
- MSSCE Mentor: Susan Garstang, MD
- Site Director: Olivia Carr
- Contact: 608-265-9433 or Email
- Location: 1685 Highland Avenue, 6th Floor, Madison, WI 53705
- MSSCE Mentors: Kimberly Arndt, MD; Kristin Caldera, DO; Larry Kim, MD; James Leonard, DO; Sara Liegel, MD; Nathan Rudin, MD; Michael Suer, MD; Bonnie Weigert, MD
What to Know Before You Apply
MSSCE is offered to all medical students, but may be most applicable for first year students. If you are interested in a research-based experience, consider applying for the AAP's Rehabilitation Research Experience for Medical Students (RREMS). Please read through the following requirements carefully:
- Students must identify choices from our list of approved sponsor sites. Applications will not be accepted unless the sponsor site has been approved prior to the student’s application. Students may choose up to five sponsor sites on the application. These are not prioritized. However, there is room to for comments if there are travel issues that students would like to have considered with their application. Students selected for the program will be matched with institutions with strong consideration given to preference. Sponsor sites for 2020 will continue to be added through December 2019.
- We encourage applications from students wishing to work with mentors outside of their own institutions.
- The student must be enrolled in an accredited allopathic or osteopathic medical school in the United States.
- Each student will receive a $4,000 stipend for their summer externship at an approved sponsor site. This stipend will be released in installments, and students will receive the full amount only after successful submission of an abstract for the AAP's Annual Meeting. Additional travel and registration expenses will be covered by the sponsor site for the AAP's Annual Meeting.
- Students are responsible for making their own housing arrangements and travel to/from their summer research institution.
- Each student must complete the full eight weeks of the program over the summer and agree to present a case report at the AAP's subsequent Annual Meeting.
Include the following documents in the the application package in the below order. Scan or combine all materials into a single PDF file. Name the file in the following format: SmithM_2020. Use our recommendations to create a strong application. Application materials include:
Personal Statement: Students must submit a 1-2 page personal statement explaining their interest in clinical exposure to PM&R.
- Your interest in clinical exposure to PM&R and in pursuing a career in the field
- How MSSCE will help you explore that interest
- A course list, background experiences or any research demonstrating interest in PM&R
Student's Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume: The CV should include prior degrees and institutions attended, undergraduate grade point average and MCAT scores.
Letter of Recommendation: Please submit one letter of recommendation with your application.