Site Sponsor Application Instructions
Please read these instructions carefully:
- We are asking sponsor sites to apply early so that medical students from all over the U.S. can contact them to look for potential research mentors. We encourage applications from faculty who precept students from outside of their own university. The goal is to have students contact the sites and look for mentors, rather than having sites identify their own students and apply jointly with that student. We prefer that sites submit their applications before any students are identified to potentially work there.
- Sponsor sites must reapply annually; applications will not automatically be renewed.
- Once sites receive approval, they will be listed on the AAP website and in advertising media, and students will begin contacting them via the contact person listed in the application.
- The sponsor site must be in the United States or Canada.
- By submitting an application, the sponsor agrees to cover travel and registration expenses for the annual AAP assembly for each student sponsored. The application will not be accepted unless these expenses are paid for by the site.
- Each primary mentor listed must be an MD and/or PhD who holds a primary faculty appointment in a PM&R department at that institution. The goal is to give the student exposure to research in an academic PM&R practice.
- Each site must commit to a project that will last 8 consecutive weeks and begin June or July 2017.
- Each site must provide a contact person who can talk to students and help to devise potential projects of interest.
- URLs of research websites for the institutions are requested so that students may browse abstracts and information about projects. If an updated website is not available, please forward a one-page description of potential research projects and interests of a research faculty.
- The Deadline is December 21, 2016 to apply. No applications will be accepted after this deadline. Sponsors must reapply annually.
- We allow multiple applications from mentors and site sponsors. We will allow more than one award to go to one institution. However, we will limit awards to one per mentor and reserve the right to limit the number of awards given to any one sponsor site if high quality applications are received from multiple sites.
- If a research project involves something that is potentially patentable, licensable, or copy right worthy, the faculty mentor and student are encourage to work with their local technology transfer office as well as the RREMS to generate a dissemination plan that will meet the needs of the program without compromising the commercial potential of the research. Please notify us in advance if this is anticipated.
Please Note: The contribution by the hosting PM&R Department is to support the travel, hotel and registration of the trainee to the AAP Annual Meeting allowing students to present their research, observe scientific paper presentations, network with participants in the current PAL and RMSTP programs, and to meet additional mentors.
Questions? Email Amy Schnappinger at firstname.lastname@example.org.