Leadership Academic Development
how it works:
- AAP’s mentor program is a one-year program.
- Membership is required for both mentors and mentees, and there is no cost to participate.
- Mentors are required to be active Diplomate, Associate or Administrative Director members.
- Medical Student members are eligible to participate in the Day in a Life program only.
- Matching will be facilitated through completed online applications by both mentors and mentees.
- Mentees are limited to one mentor at a time.
- The level of commitment for all of the programs will be determined by the participants.
Mentors & Mentees will:
- Determine the frequency and type of communications that will work best for them.
- Complete an AAP Mentor Program survey at the end of the year.
- Meet in-person at the AAP meeting if schedules allow.
Mentors should also:
- Contact mentee within two weeks of match to establish a regular schedule and share contact information.
- Communicate regularly based on an established schedule.
- Work with the mentee to set goals and expectations for the program. Determine what guidance you can provide to help mentee achieve these goals.
- Share your knowledge and expertise with the mentee.
Mentees should also:
- Keep scheduled commitments and provide advance notice of any unforeseen conflicts requiring rescheduling.
- Work with mentor to set goals and expectations for the program, such as 3-month, 6-month and 1-year goals for the mentor/mentee relationship.
- Review how your mentor can assist you in reaching those goals. What skills can your mentor provide guidance in developing?
- Evaluate your progress and your work on meeting the goals you have set with your mentor.