please read the following carefully:
- Students must identify choices from a list of approved sponsor sites on the AAP website. Applications will not be accepted unless the sponsor site has been approved prior to the student’s application. Students must choose three site sponsor institutions and must list them on the MSSCE application in order of preference. Students selected for the program will be matched with site sponsor institutions with strong consideration to preference. Sponsor sites will continue to be added through January 8, 2016.
- We encourage applications from students wishing to work with mentors outside of their own institutions.
- The student must be enrolled in an accredited allopathic or osteopathic medical school in the United States.
- Each student will receive a $4,000 stipend for summer research at an approved sponsor site and additional travel and registration expenses to cover travel to the AAP Annual Meeting. This stipend will be released in installments, and students will receive the full amount only after successful submission of an abstract for the 2016 AAP Annual Meeting..
- The program is offered to all medical students but may be most applicable for students for the summer after completion of year one.
- Students are responsible for making their own housing arrangements and travel to/from their summer sites. Students are encouraged to work with their site sponsors to identify suitable housing at the time of their acceptance into the program. the AAP will not be responsible for finding students housing.
- Each student must commit to the clinical curriculum as designed by Program Director R. Sam Mayer, MD, that will last eight consecutive weeks and begin over the summer and agree to present a case report at the following AAP Annual Meeting being held February 6-11, 2017.
Still have questions? Try the MSSCE FAQ or email AAP Member Services Manager Amy Schnappinger at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Medical Student Summer Clinical Externship (MSSCE) program has been developed for medical students with a strong desire for clinical experience in the field of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (PM&R) and who are eagerly seeking opportunities to see patients.
This program aims to provide a wide range of inpatient and outpatient clinical exposure and to allow students to explore the human side of patient care and the psychosocial environments their patients face through an eight-week summer externship with an attached stipend of $4,000.
to Participate in the MSSCE Program
The AAP accepts applications for site sponsors and medical students for participation in MSSCE on the following schedule:
MSSCE 2016 Dates
November 9, 2015 - Open for 2016 Site Sponsor Applications
December 14, 2015 - Open for 2016 Student Applications
January 8, 2016 - Deadline for 2016 Site Sponsor Applications
February 9, 2016 - Deadline for 2016 Student Applications